The Coolest Hobbies for the Long Winter Days Ahead
- by siteadmin
We’re all feeling the winter blues. The days are shorter, the air is colder, and it’s time to hunker down for what feels like an eternity. It doesn’t have to be that way though! Here are some of my favorite hobbies that will keep you busy during these long winter days ahead.
1) Cook: Winter is the perfect time to cook up some of your favorite comfort foods. Break out the slow cooker, or try a new recipe from one of your favorite cooking websites.
Cooking can also be a great way to bond with family and friends. Get together for dinner and swap recipes, or have a cooking party where everyone makes their own dish.
2) Read: Winter is the perfect time to curl up with a good book. My personal favorite genres are historical fiction and suspense, but you can read whatever strikes your fancy!
If reading just isn’t for you right now, try listening to an audiobook in the car or while doing chores around the house. If all else fails, go online and find some great lists of short stories (like this one from Buzzfeed).
Don’t forget that libraries and used bookstores make excellent wintertime hangouts as well if you want to socialize while getting lost in another world.
3) Go for a Walk: When it’s too cold and dark outside to do anything else, go for a walk. The fresh air will help clear your mind and give you some much-needed vitamin D from the sun (even if just through cloud cover).
If walking isn’t really your thing, try biking or rollerblading instead. You can even take up ice skating as well! It doesn’t matter what method of transportation you use so long as you get out there and enjoy life.
4) Craft: There are so many things you can make! You could paint, draw, or even sew something if the mood strikes. My personal favorites include painting pottery and making greeting cards.
You can also try your hand at knitting, crocheting, scrapbooking, quilting… really anything that sparks joy within you will do just fine! Just remember to stay hydrated while crafting because it’s easy to get too absorbed in what you’re doing without realizing how thirsty you’ve become until it’s too late.
5) Watch a Movie: Movies are an excellent way to wind down after a long day of work or school. Watch your favorite childhood classics, or try something new from Netflix.
If you don’t have time to head out and buy snacks for the movie night, order them instead! Most places will deliver right to your doorstep in no time at all. Just make sure that whoever’s hosting knows what kind of snacks everyone likes in advance so there aren’t any awkward moments when someone gets left out because they can’t eat whatever was ordered (like peanuts).
We’re all feeling the winter blues. The days are shorter, the air is colder, and it’s time to hunker down for what feels like an eternity. It doesn’t have to be that way though! Here are some of my favorite hobbies that will keep you busy during these long winter days ahead. 1) Cook: Winter…